On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:30:34 -0400, Warner Mach wrote:

>Dear List:
>  .
>We have a vendor program that produces various records at a fixed
>blksize. It is necessary to reformat these blocks into smaller
>recsize/blksize. We do this with a long set of IEBGENER jobs.
>  .
>It would appear that 'MVS Batchpipes' would allow us to do these
>operations without having to write out the intermediate records that are
>read by IEBGENER ... I reviewed the archives but there is not much
>information on the latest iteration of Batchpipes (ver 2 rel 1 (?)).
>  .
>If someone could answer the following questions I would be grateful: (1)
>We have a single CPU, single machine (monoplex). Will the new release work
>even with one CPU? (2) Is the pricing still the same as before: Based
>either on number of jobs or the amound of data processed? (3) Is
>the 'Batchpipe Works' product an extra charge item?
>(4) Would 'Batchpipe Works' allow us to do away with the second program
>entirely or would it function in much the same way as our IEBGENER does
>currently (ie: EXEC PGM=IEBGENER). (5) Any other thoughts, references,
>etc., appreciated.

Warner,

Do you know what the vendor software is using as its access method?  (It
isn't using EXCP, is it?  You can tell from the SMF Type 15 record.)

#1 Yes, but its faster with more than one cpu;
#2 Sales question (it might vary by region);
#3 I would be surprised, but see #2
#4 Presuming you aren't using EXCP: it should allow you to skip the second
program, reblocking in-flight as it were (if that's what you want).  I'm
not sure if v2r1 supports EXCP or not but v1 did not.  IF Pipeworks is
separately charged and you elect to skip it you could keep the second
program but run it as a parallel job (same time, different initiator) and
have it reblock in&out to a third job to do the productive read
processing.  With v1r2 Pipeworks was included and you could have reblocked
in a pipe fitting from the output DD of your vendor software (presuming the
vendor software didn't sniff its DD statement too much; a few times there
were products that were overly particular about the JFCB settings, etc.
Some from IBM, some not.)

(I'm curious about #2 & #3 myself.)
You know about the SMF BP tool on the IBM downloads site, right?
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/downloads/batchpipes.html

(The program will still "write" the records but they aren't "hardened" to
disk or tape.  Your SRB time goes down and the TCB time goes up, since the
SRB access method time disappears when the access method switches to BP
which runs under the TCB, not an SRB.  That might impact your billing
somewhat, if that's an issue where you work.  Hopefully the elapsed time
improvement will more than make up for it, but some folks had issues with
that.)

Hopefully someone authoritative from IBM will answer your questions.

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI