On Apr 12, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Chase, John wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List On Behalf Of George Bly

[ snip ]

Last upgrade in my small shop cost for just ISV software was
$300,000 in just upgrade fees.  I didn't need to change one
piece of code.  That's hard to defend.

To put it bluntly, it's indefensible.

John,

Agreed... but some PC software cost (Oracle and the like) do charge by the number of processors, so its not just the MF software ISV's that are the problem. That being said we have all heard of horror stories that another processor cost. I cannot say if the cost is more in PC land than in MF land. I just don't have the background in the PC arena. The two (was three) major vendors have been raked over the coals by just about everyone on here. So there is no use in namimg them again.

Ed