Welcome to the Borg Collection.  Resistance is futile!

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Craddock, Chris
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 SYSN 6:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframe & Evil

Ed Gould wrote;
> I cannot say if the cost is more in PC land than in MF land.
> I just don't have the background in the PC arena. The two
> (was three) major vendors have been raked over the  coals by
> just about everyone on here. So there is no use in namimg
> them again.

Not to pick on Ed, but everything costs more on the MF no matter what
anyone says. That's because of the costs of doing business in this
market space and the relatively small (tiny!!) size of the market in
terms of customers, if not dollars. No matter what anyone says, IT and
especially MF systems software is a very people-intensive business. It
did not get this way over night.

You can argue whether it's what the market will bear or just gouging,
but the reality is that people don't work for altruism. This is a
business like any other and as such it has to charge enough to pay the
bills and give a return to the shareholders. If there were more large
systems customers the costs would be spread wider and they would be
lower on average than today. PC software only looks "cheap" FSVO cheap
because the costs are spread over a much much larger number of
customers. Building PC software costs a ton of money too.

CC

BTW> after the IBM disclosure meetings this week the cat is out of the
bag and a lot of the other CA guys have been dying for me to "de-cloak"
so here goes... Check the email address.