----- Original Message ----
From: Barbara Nitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU

> System reset is done automagically in a parallel sysplex (note the parallel
> - the CF needs to be there) for all systems except the last one when an SFM
> policy is active. No special automation is needed here. The system reset is
> done via the CF. This is called 'Isolation'.

Barbara,
system reset is done automagically in a *basic* sysplex, too; you don't need a
CF
to system reset an LPAR. The simple SFM defined at our site does the job
nicely, provided
you update your logical partition security settings to include 'Cross partition
authority' .

> The original message text was 'Reply down when MVS is down', and "down"
> wasn't really defined. I believe that around that time the RESERVE problems
> first surfaced. My standard chant in those days was 'You have to system
> reset before replying DOWN'. The message text got changed later to include
> the phrase 'when system has been system reset'.

Yes, IXC102A message is very clear about when to reply DOWN. I think I read
somewhere else (SHARE or IBMMAIN)
that DOWN must be replied only *after* the system has been reset. What I am
seeing is that delaying
the reply to IXC102A will leave all the remaining LPARs in the PLEX in a 'hang'
conditions. RMF III, option XD
(XCF delays) shows this clearly. Obviously there's no reason to delay the reply
to IXC102A, but I would like to automate
this last step too, and was wondering if you can do it with SFM, as the book
states.

Best regards

Walter Marguccio