On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:42:18 +0200, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>... Thus making the description of the node depend upon
>the type of the PU it contains, as is implied by "... it is the PU that
has
>a type designation and that 'type i node' is an alias for 'PU_Ti node'"
>obviously breaks down. In the new world where the "PU" entity is optional,
>the type designation has to go with the "node" entity - and there's no
need
>to drag the type designation of the "PU" entity along with it when the
type
>designation of the "node" entity require sub-designations.

Actually, I think it never held up.  As far as I know a node has always
been hardware and a PU has always bee a program (as described in a FAP
and probably originally desiged using FAPL).  The PU never had to match
the node type (although each non-APPN node had a PU based on the node's
capabilities).  For example, a PU_T1 never ran in a node T_1, as far as I
know.  (I think a PU_T1 was by definition the PU code supporting a device
too dumb to have executable code.)  It always ran on something else -
a T_4 (or maybe T_5, but I never heard of that implementation).

Pat O'Keefe