Charles Mills wrote:

I know IBM does not generally publish numbers, but does anyone have a good
working guess they can share with me on the number of organizations
worldwide using Z or 390 boxes? Something to the nearest thousand would be
great.

I've heard about 10 000. I don't remember the source. However the number of sites is not major factor. The size is also very important. For example here, in Poland we have up to 100 sites, but only few over 1000 MIPS. Vast majority works on >250 MIPS machines. z/800's and 9672's are the most popular models in use. Even P390's are in use. Vast majority use z/OS, only few Linux in production (I know 4 sites), one site uses VM/CMS (not as hypervisor). No TPF AFAIK.

BTW: I can provide the numbers for Poland. We have 4000+ subscribers on the list, from almost any country on the Earth. Why can't we collect the numbers if we want to know them ? A single volunteer from each country (or US state) is needed, and he needs to know some numbers about his "neighbourhood".
The plan is simple:
1. We should agree it is good idea.
2. We should provide some basic questions (number of sites, number of CPC's, etc.) 3. We should collect it. Duplicated entries from given country should be explained or "averaged".
4. We should publish it.

What do you think about it ?
--
Radoslaw Skorupka