I read somewhere that the motivation for support of mixed
case passwords in z/OS v1r7 is an external requirement that
the password space have cardinality at least 10^13.  Does
any reader of this list know the source of this requirement?
Sarbanes-Oxley (chapter and verse)?  Other (specify)?

While searching for this (unsuccessfully), I stumbled over
several documents containing a fallacious rationale for
frequent password changes:  If a password-cracking program
can discover a password in N days, one should change one's
password no less often than once every N-1 days to be safe.
The inventors of such rules don't understand that N is
an upper bound, and that by happenstance a password might
be discovered in seconds; in other cases take up to almost
the N day limit; and that the likelihood of a success on
any single try is not affected by the age of the password,
except insofar as the remaining password space is reduced
by the number of unsuccessful probes.  No matter how often
you change your password, you at best double the average
effort for an intruder to discover it.

-- gil
--
StorageTek