In a recent note, Art Celestini said:

> Date:         Tue, 23 May 2006 20:18:02 -0400
>
> If I am not mistaken, if you allocate on an SMS-managed volume
> and specify enough DCB attributes so that SMS knows that it is
> intended to be a SAM data set, SMS will write an EOF at the
> beginning of the first track and correspondingly set DS1LSTAR.
> I seem to recall this as one of the "features" that SMS provided
> when it first came out.

Underreaching.  Why the restriction to SAM?  Allocation ought to
write EOF whenever a NEW primary extent is allocated, regardless
of known or unknown DSORG.

The one possible exception is when the programmer requests an
absolute track address (is this even supported nowadays?),
since that might be an attempt to recover data after a DSCB
was lost, and writing the EOF might obliterate the data.

I'm more tolerant of the restriction to SMS; not all new
enhancements should be retrofitted to obsolete functions.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL