This new thread started after I wrote that Timothy tends to oversimplify
things.   Based on my experience here with a zLinux project and some
(I admit now outdated) experience elsewhere, I am sticking to my
guns on that.

Without getting into too much detail.. there were two projects (POCs)
going on. One was related to moving TSM off of z/OS to run on zLinux under
z/VM and the other was moving TAMe from AIX (I think.. it could have
been Wintel). I did not work on the projects myself, but one of my
team members did pretty much exclusively for a year. BTW, there was
a part time consultant with z/VM and Linux "expertise" that was thrown
in by whomever (IBM?) as part of the POC.  Although my team member
was always telling me he didn't get much support from him.

As others have suggested, z/VM installation & customization was probably
not a big deal.  But I can see long term support being a little more
of an issue.  Things like applying / rolling out maintenance, backup /
recovery, etc.

However, the TSM / Linux part was a big deal.  There were constant
issues with driver levels vs. kernel levels, re-installs, trouble
obtaining the proper levels, and issues with some third party software
that was involved in interfacing to STK tape drives in a 9310 SILO.  This
of course was on top of the learning curve issues of an unfamiliar
environment to the zOS sysprog working on the project (he was working
with one of the VTAM sysprogs who had some VM and unix experience).
This project was eventually canned.

The TAMe POC never really got off the ground to begin with.

18 months after the start.... I'm not even sure where we are now.
z/VM and zLinux still aren't dead yet.  There is just nothing production
running on it at the moment.  I'm pretty sure they are still looking
at other opportunities and perhaps even testing WAS on zLinux as I
write.

I'm not saying that our experience is typical.  Part of the problem
was lack of solid commitment by management with these projects and
getting the resources needed.  All I am saying is what I said to
begin with - I think Timothy  oversimplified how easy it is to get
an application running on Linux or Linux under z/VM.  Remember,
these were only POCs, which to me is still quite a bit away
from an enterprise ready production application.

So, any others care to tell about their Linux on Z POCs or
implementations?   Did your projects stay on schedule and run
smoothly?  Did you have to hire new people or were the existing
zOS or *nix people in your shop able to handle it?  How much help
did you need / get from IBM or other consultants?

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group