On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:48:04 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm dealing _right now_ with network performance issues in a mixed-media
>network and wondering _how on earth_ Ethernet managed to gain so much
>market acceptance and prevail over Token-Ring. It certainly wasn't due
>to technical superiority. (Far from it!) From what I can gather, it was
>price, price, and ... oh yeah ... price...

The same reason people are moving away from the mainframe.  Look at any
mainframe shop and you'll see an explosive growth in computing power.  The
mainframes are staying about the same while *ix and Microslop gain.

Not trying to open the debate about TCO...  The perception is that the
mainframe is expensive.

It's really unfortunate that IBM isn't pricing software aggressively to
stop the hemorrhage.

Tom Marchant