The problem as I see it (at least in my shop) is that the work ethic of
the existing workers is very high so that when the outsourced staff have
problems the US based staff pick up the slack with out a problem.  This
leads to an impression that the outsourced staff are doing better than
in reality they are.

I am not suggesting that the US staff change their work ethic.  I am
just suggesting that it is essential that we advertise our worth.  I
know it is a foreign idea for a lot of us to try to sell our work, I
hate status reports as much as the next guy, but if management is not
made aware of how we backfill for our outsourced counterparts then
they'll be shooting themselves without knowing it (and us).

Sean