Surely you are joking!

The DEC PDP-1 was a transistor machine.  The IBM 7xx and 6xx series were
vacuum tube machines (plus other oddities like drums).  NCR  and Burroughs
and of course Univac also had vt machines in the 50's.

The 4xx series could be used as calculators.  Richard Feynmann says in one
of his biographies that there was a factory building in x (Louisville?)
where there was a literal array of 4xx machines used for WWII bomb
calculations.  The algorithms were in patchboards.  The calculation
literally flowed from machine to machine.

All the AEC national labs in the 50's made their own machines.  Robert
Rannie of Share boat paddle fame made his start as a programmer in Oak
Ridge National Laboratory (X-10 site) on one of those machines.  It was
replaced at ORNL by a CDC 1604 which was a 709x like machine (36 bit
octal) with enhanced floating point.  That machine was "replaced" by a
360-75, the sister of the set of 75's that went to manned space craft
center in Houston from which we got HASP later called JES2.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 06/23/2006
04:15:21 AM:

> To me unix looks and feels very much like DEC/VAX, and DEC surely
> precedes IBM !

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom
it is addressed.  The information may also constitute a legally
privileged confidential communication.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this communication in error and that any
review, dissemination, copying, or unauthorized use of this
information, or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail, and delete the original message.  Thank you