In a recent note, Taylor, Clarence B said:

> Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:44:51 -0400
>
> I am attempting to transfer a binary file for my pc to a uss file and
> then convert it to ascii.  There is a little issue, in that the CRLF
> sequences x'0d0a' are getting converted to '0d15'.  When I ftp with
> ascii they get translated to '0D0A'.
>
> I do the translation in USS via the iconv utility, this causes the 0D15
> sequence.
>
> iconv -f ISO8859-1 -t IBM-1047 asm.sh  > ../asm.sh
>
> I have also tried IBM-037.

OK.  In DOS, the line separator is '0D0A'.  A binary FTP to z/OS
preserves the code points, and iconv to either IBM-1047 or IBM-037
converts this to '0D15'.  WAD.  My only problem with this is that
according to the documentation of the code pages, it should be
'0D25'.  The doc of the IBM code pages should be changed, or new
code pages should be defined that match the behavior.  But that's
a different rant.

I'm astonished, however, by the "ASCII" behavior.  What should
happen is the transmitter should convert the host line separator
to a network line separator (also '0D0A'), and the receiver should
convert the network line separator to its host line separator
('15' for z/OS).  I've never known z/OS to behave otherwise.
Have you omitted something from your narrative?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL