This command will extract files from a tar file, change CRLF to just CR,
and convert to EBCDIC:

pax -ofrom=iso8859-1,to=ibm-1047 -rqkf tarfile

All files in the tar file are assumed to be text files.

The 'q' in "-rqkf" is what causes the CRLF-to-CR conversion.
The 'k' prevents overwriting existing files.

See "man pax" for details.

Bill Godfrey