Craig Dudley writes:
>I am looking for the RMF report(s) where I can find out
>how much CPU time my system (2066-0A2 w/8 GB) to perform
>paging. I am trying to determine how much CPU I will "get
>back" if we buy more memory. WAS on z is involved ;>)

If it's WebSphere Application Server on z/OS, and you can get up (at least
for an LPAR) z/OS 1.6 or higher and WAS 5.1 or higher, then you can
probably get a whole lot of CPU back with a zAAP on a z9 BC model.  Would
recommend crunching those numbers, too.

For reference, a z800-0A2 is 44 MSUs.  A z9 BC Model L04 is roughly the
same capacity -- depends on your workload, of course -- and only 36 MSUs.
Add a zAAP and you might not need something as large as the L04.  If you do
need more memory then that costs a bit less on the z9.

Another benefit is more precise capacity sizing.  You can look at this
backwards and forwards.  If the z800-0A2 becomes too small as you grow,
then the next step up is a -002.  But your MSUs increase to a whopping 60.
On the other hand, from a z9 BC L04 you can move to a U01 (38 MSUs) or a
P02 (41 MSUs) -- just a smidgen more capacity and not that giant leap.
This idea also works if your -0A2 is a little too big right now (because
the -001 was too small or otherwise not suitable).

Please ship your z800 to me.  I'd like to put it in my home data center,
OK?  I'm only half joking.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]