On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:52:41 -0400, Mark Jacobs wrote:

>On Thursday 03 August 2006 09:36, Edward Jaffe wrote:
>
>> You make your bed. Then you lie in it. ;-)
>>
>The resistance is from a different group in the datacenter that likes to
hand
>tune things
>
>> Seriously, there are definitely certain types of workloads that don't do
>> well with WLM-managed batch initiators. (For example, a workload that
>> requires guaranteed immediate initiation -- so called "hot" batch -- or
>> one that depends on over-initiation or fixed initiator limits.) But, for
>> most batch workloads, it's just fine. It's easy to try as well. (One
>> command can switch a JES2 job class to/from WLM management.)
>
>They don't want to do what they don't want to do.

Mark,

I developed a design for another site locally that allowed workload to be
leveled by using ThruPut Manager's limiting agents and a small started task
that queried WLM periodically to see how busy each image was at the various
importance levels and then it would readjust the limiting agents
availability to push subsequent batch job starts to various JES2 members
accordingly.  (The importance levels there could identify categories of
work very easily and could therefore immediately clue it in on whether the
CPU busy was due to onlines, production batch, or other loved-or-unloved-
ones.)  The overload was tiny (a couple or three CPU minutes per day) and
it accomplished the goal nicely.

But I'm not going to suggest it to your site since they want to hand tune
and that was automated.  It even inserted the agents dynamically so there
were no JCL changes needed.  (It still is running there, as far as I know;
Mark D., please chime in to correct or agree as appropriate.)

The folks at ThruPut Manager support/development will certainly work with
you on the issue.  They have an alternative design that they seemed to
like, but it wouldn't have worked at the site I mentioned.  Maybe it will
work for you?

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI