Don't forget the "Prime Directive" of IBM "mainframe" OS development:
"Thy changes and advancements SHALT NOT break any 'old' code".

How many Windows apps had to be replaced, extensively "reworked" or
simply abandoned for each of the last few Windows releases?  How many
will suffer the same fate when "Vista" is released sometime next year?

Meantime, MUCH 'old' code written for the IBM "mainframe" 30 or more
years ago runs unchanged on the latest release of z/OS, blissfully
unaware of the passage of time....

    -jc-