-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:21 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Vendor JCL (was: WHY IS JCL ALLERGIC ... )

<snip>

Of course, I am not a developer, so I may well be missing something.

<snip>

As a developer, I have to prepare for a client to run on various levels
of the operating system. Some with some without using SMS management.
Some are running JES3, most aren't. Some are using RACF some are using
ACF2 some have their own home grown systems, so SAF doesn't solve it
all.

Some customers are running other ISV products that interfere with what
the product I work on does.

So to give you a fast answer about upper/lower, use CLIST over REXX,
program in C/C++ or ALC, just doesn't cut it. JCL is a pain because JES3
expects one thing, JES2 allows another, the internal reader handles
things differently (so if I want to submit from within a customizer
job...).

And then the idea that ISVs don't know SMP/E is a bit out there -- well
I'd hope that ISVs know SMP/E. But the reason for autocurst was to allow
the customer to immediately install AutoOPERATOR and then install the
SMP/E stuff later (basically the system came "pre-installed" you loaded
the SMP/E files/system later so you could put on maint).

So there are lots of things that vendors have to take into
consideration, and the biggest one today are the Sr. Systems Programmers
who don't know what a USERMOD is or a JES exit.

Later,
Steve Thompson