On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:41:44 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:
>On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:03:24 -0400, Thompson, Steve (SCI TW) wrote:
>>
>>And then the idea that ISVs don't know SMP/E is a bit out there -- well
>>I'd hope that ISVs know SMP/E.
>
>I'd hope so too, but some vendors consistently do it wrong.
>Some examples:
>Providing PTFs without proper PREs
>Providing PTFs that don't SUP when they should
>Routinely asking a customer to use BYPASS ID
>PTF A has a PRE on FMID B, but FMID B has a SUP on PTF A
>Failure to provide UCLIN to create DDDEFs

Hey, I recognize that 2-letter-name vendor by those clues - probably nearly
all of us can recognize it.

>>So there are lots of things that vendors have to take into
>>consideration, and the biggest one today are the Sr. Systems Programmers
>>who don't know what a USERMOD is or a JES exit.
>>
>Now there's a statement that I think is "a bit out there."

I took exception to Steve's statement, too, at first.  Then I considered a
site or two near me where they are absolutely allergic to exits (and nearly
allergic to USERMODs) and I have to say that I understand Steve's position
a little better.

'Course, most of that allergy comes from a lack of knowledge and trust in
the Sr. SysProg's assembler (and general) programming skills.  There are
too many z/OS "Systems Administrators" in the field today.  Now it looks
like IBM plans to build 20,000 more in a few years?!  Just what the
customers do NOT need!  (Hey, IBM, how about building 20,000 enlightened
senior managers and executives for customers instead?  THAT would be a
worthwhile goal!)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI