I am myself just becoming somewhat familiar with zFS, but one thing I've
stumbled upon is the requirement to specify

aggrgrow=on

in SYS1.PARMLIB(IOEPRM00) so that the ZFS started task will use this
value.  As I understand it, with this option in effect, then zFS will
dynamically take advantage of whatever space you've defined for your zFS
data set by formatting it when needed.  Remember, a zFS data set is simply
a VSAM Linear data set, so standard VSAM rules apply - but without
aggrgrow, zFS won't take advantage of more space as needed.

Brian