In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 08/18/2006
   at 07:37 AM, Timothy Sipples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>There are some missing ones that probably belong in (or at least
>near) the top 12.  Grace Hopper's A-0 or FORTRAN probably ought to
>figure somewhere.

I'd probably put IPL-V and LISP ahead of those; possibly FACT as well.
Also macro assemblers, SNOBOL and programmable CLI's.

>There's nothing on the list that directly addresses wordsmithing,
>such as word processing or publishing.  Electric Pencil?  Wordstar?
>WordPerfect? Aldus Pagemaker?  Quark?  Photoshop?  TeX?

Definitely TeX, Metafont and LaTeX. Possibly some of the stuff from
Xerox PARC.

>The approach to file handling (hierarchical slash
>paths) and I/O (everything-as-file /dev/whatever) is at least nice.

The nice parts were copied from Multics.

>I wonder if one of the timesharing systems should get mention, like
>Dartmouth's, Michigan's (MTS), McGill's (MUSIC), or something else.

Surely CTSS and Multics.

>We've really got to have z/VM on the list.

CP/67.

>Digital Research's CP/M probably deserves a greatness nomination as
>the first general purpose, mass market microcomputer operating
>system.

Wasn't it a bad copy of RT-11?

>If Microsoft belongs on the list I think it should get on the list
>for, oddly enough, BASIC.

Weren't there other early BASIC compiler/interpreter systems with
small footprints?