-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: HLASM Macro Call Question
<snip>
You need to provide a bit more context. Please do a cut & paste from
the actual listing, showing where you set the LCLC, where you do the
MNOTE and where you do the macro call. Include any intermediate SETC
statements and any assembler messages.
<snip>

[I hate, eschew, despise, Outlook and its micro-just -- just screws
NON-TTF based things into the ground. And I have it set to PLAIN TEXT.]

I don't know that this will help, exactly, but here is the result from
w/in the listing at macro generation:

** ASMA254I *** MNOTE ***          3003+     0,ABEND    IF
(,ON,RADAIT01),AND,(,ON,RADAIT12),THEN            01-00178
** ASMA254I *** MNOTE ***          3008+     4,IF(0001) - THEN MISSING -
ONE IS ASSUMED.                        02-IF
** ASMA254I *** MNOTE ***          3009+     8,IF(0009) - CONDITION 1
HAS AN INVALID NUMBER OF SUBOPERANDS.     02-IF

There is no LCLC for &COND, it is implicitly defined by the first SETC.
Now from the macro itself where it gets used:

          :
          :
&Y       SETA  K'&LINE4
         MNOTE *,'=&Y  LINE4=&LINE4'
         AIF   (&Y EQ 0).NO_LINE4
&LINE    SETC  '&LINE4'(2,*)
         AIF   (K'&COND LE 5).NO_AND3
&COND    SETC  '&COND.AND,(,ON,'
.NO_AND3 ANOP  ,
&COND    SETC  '&COND&LINE),'
.NO_LINE4 ANOP ,
.*
.*
&LABEL   ST    15,DEBUG1          Store to use for work
         L     15,TARAT
         USING RAT,15
         MNOTE 0,'ABEND    IF    &COND.THEN'
ABEND    IF    &COND.THEN
         :
         :

Please note that I do have debugging code embedded in this, so there are
MNOTEs that are there during fix/development, but go away before promote
to production.

Also note, the MNOTEs from the IF are rather misleading because to me
(and others here that use these other macros that I'm calling), the sub
parameters are valid. In fact, we can cut/paste into source and the IF
will be happy and generate all the correct TM statements and their
conditional Branches.

I am afraid that the problem is what I suspected, and what another
poster suggested, that this (&COND) is handed to the IF macro as a
string and not a "parse-able" line of text (as one would get had the
macro had been coded in open code with what the contents of &COND
are/were).

So I am on my way to writing all my own bit testing rather than calling
another macro to do it.

Regards,
Steve Thompson