At 19:57 -0500 on 08/26/2006, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tom_Marchant?= wrote about Re: Why is it still there?:

If you can find any reference in any manual that says that you should use
_any_ system abend code, I would like to see it.  It has always been my
expectation that if i see a system abend code that it would be documented in
the System Codes manual.  I don't remember ever seeing an ISV product that
issues any System abend code.  Does anyone here know of one

I seem to remember that TMS (UCC-1 now CA-1) issues SYSTEM ABENDs from its SVC when needed.

ACF2 also does (or did) this I think (I'm not sure). It may have gone away when it went to the SAF interface as opposed to ZAPing SVCs.