On Monday, 08/28/2006 at 07:49 ZW3, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >That would be,  again classically, just BCP: the thing that holds the
>  >SVCs.
>> Not all SVC's are in the BCP, and most of the BCP is not  composed of
>> SVC's, at least not for MVS.

In a message dated 8/29/2006 7:50:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>I was taught that the part of MVS
>that handles memory  management, scheduling
Not sure what you mean by scheduling.  You schedule an SRB by  using the
SCHEDULE macro, which invokes the BCP via a BALR instruction.   You schedule
batch
jobs by using JESx.  You schedule an I/O request at the  lowest level by
using the STARTIO macro, which invokes the I/O part of the BCP  via a BASSM
instruction.

>, dispatching
Dispatching is handled by the Dispatcher, which, as far as I know, has  never
had an interface involving an SVC.

>, security
Security is, like scheduling, a very broad topic.  It is enforced at  a data
set level, device level, job level, address space level, individual 4K  pages
of virtual storage level, etc.

>, program
>management, address space management, system  operation, I/O
You can initiate I/O requests with certain SVCs, but also with BASSM (see
above).  And you can also manipulate I/O resources by BALRing  into various I/O
modules (halt a previously started I/O, modify a SCHIB,  vary devices, e.g.).

 and so on was
>the BCP; that upon which all else is built,  and whose services are
>accessed by SVC and [these days] PC.   Further, while the service routines
>for the various SVCs may not be  physically resident in the BCP, I
>understood the SVC handler itself  was.
The handlers (FLIH and SLIH) for all classes of interrupts are in  the BCP.

Bill  Fairchild