I shall mourn its passing, but not for long.  There was a very good article in
Datamation more
years ago than I like to remember entitled: "The hidden speed of ISAM".

In the late days of MVT, someone collected around forty different ways of
breaking into key 0.
When MVS came out I got regular reports on how many had been closed off - the
ones that hung
around the longest were ISAM tricks.

More recently the Germans said: "ISAM is langsam, VSAM is grausam."

The two JCL parameters (long obsolete, but still tolerated) that I found
confused many people
were SEP= and UNIT=SEP= (and of course the corollaries UNIT=AFF and AFF=

These days the W3 people used the term "deprecated" for such old rubbish.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk