On Tuesday, 08/29/2006 at 08:07 GMT, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> If you define the OS as just BCP, then you are going to have a lot of
things
> that you cannot do.
> So, if you expand the definition to BCP, JES2, all the utilities and
tools
> needed to keep it runnning, you can expand it to VTAM, TCP/IP, TSO,
ISPF, SMP,
> and keep going.
>
> There are (many) valid cases for including/excluding certain
sub-systems.
> But, I would go  with all the ('free') stuff that is bundled inside
z/OS, and
> covered by that single licence, as a start.

Defining an operating system according to its usefulness is a waste of
time.  (Depending on your definition of "operating system", "usefulness"
and "waste", of course!)

Academically, I cannot call z/VM an operating system, either.  CP, yes.
CMS, yes.  GCS, yes.  Each with different levels of sophistication and
capability.  But z/VM, like z/OS, is the name of a *product* that IBM
sells.  From a *packaging* perspective, these products contain one or more
operating systems, a collection of utilities, applications, and
documentation.  The best part is that everyone knows what I mean when I
say "z/VM".  Having to say "You know, the software offering from IBM that
includes CP, CMS, GCS, AVS, TSAF, DVF, SES, ..., and TCP/IP" would just be
too exhausting.

z/OS is the same thing.  It's the name of a collection of widgets that
some people find moderately useful.  ;-)

"Windows" is the same.  The public's definition of "OS" and that of my
Operating Systems professor in college are miles apart.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott