That's a reasonable way to describe it.

If I write an SVC, does that become then an extension of the OS?  In a way,
sort of.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Thomas Berg
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What part of z/OS is the OS?

This is of course a case with very blurred borders, but:

* An OS is what is not an application * (but still software).

Generally.  For z/OS specifically, it maybe is the BCP as some suggest.
The reason for this is that when You look at software in "all purpose" computers
(in contrast to e g digital controlled amplifiers etc.), there is almost no
general
attribute that is unique for any type of programs.  (Of course, e g a backup
program
could be said to have the "unique" attribute of the group "backup programs",
but I don't
consider here "backup function" to be a "general" attribute.)

But there is only one group of programs that is not depending on, or requires
another "lower"
level of software.  And which is also *never* useful alone.  And which is
always distributing
CPU and memory resources to other programs.

That group of programs is what I see as OS'.

Thomas Berg