In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/01/2006
   at 10:23 AM, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>... at least I think that's what you are claiming. This is
>interesting since using such devices - if anyone still has them - or,
>I would expect, later generations of 3270 displays which had a fancy
>name I can't remember - was it something weird like InfoTerminal or
>InfoSystem? - it would be possible to exercise Edward Jaffe's
>"enhancement" using these devices.

No, because the sizes were fixed during the BIND process. You'd need
to enhance the data stream beyond what those devices supported. I
believe that they term you are looking for is InfoWindow and, yes,
they could be configured to support a BIND with primary other than
24x80.

>You're also right that the "Query Reply" is not relevant when
>considering how the 7F option may be used. Nevertheless, I believe
>with some 3270 applications (probably not TSO given the hammering it
>gets from savvy users) you had better allow "Erase Write" to cause
>the presentation space to assume dimensions of 24 rows and 80
>columns, mainly because "older" subapplications, perhaps
>customer-written and lacking ongoing support, will assume the "Model
>2" dimensions.

I know of applications that will only run with 24x80, but ISPF and TSO
SM are quite happy with 43x80. Note, however, the reference to 14-bit
addressing; you can't run an application that uses 12-bit addressing
if the screen size exceeds 4KiB.

>On the other hand I can't make sense of "No, I was talking about the
>dimensions on the 3275 and 3277, which didn't have EWA or Read
>Partition Query."

You made a general statement about EWA on the 3270, and it was only
valid for the 3278 and later.

>[1] My presentation notes say that the 3179, specifically the 3179G,
>does not support the use of the "unspecified screen size" BIND.

The 3179 and the 3179G are very different beasts. My recollection is
that the 3179 was intended strictly as a 3278-2 equivalent and
supported only 24x80 for both primary and alternate. The 3179G was an
APA graphics terminal.