<snip>

Very good points. I agree with them.

> 7. An upside to external encryption is that it minimizes impact to
> legacy applications. A CPU-based encryption solution requires some
> kind of change to an application I/O to perform the ciphering. This
> can be a direct change to the application or maybe through a front-end
> of OPEN SVC and the GET/PUT/READ/WRITE routines. Changing a perfectly
<snip>

This case can be addressed as well. Writing a "subsystem" is not that
difficult anymore. Many vendors know how to do it. So the JCL might need
to be changed something like:

//SYSUT2 DD SUBSYS=(ENCR,'DD:SYSUT2A')
//SYSUT2A DD DSN=encrypted.dataset.name,
// ... all the rest of the stuff

The program still opens SYSUT2. The ENCR subsystem gets control, creates
appropriate control blocks, opens SYSUT2A. For each record written to
SYSUT2, the ENCR's write subroutine gets control, encrypts the record
(or something), then eventually writes it to SYSUT2A. It might even be
possible for ENCR to "buffer up" a number of logical records, then
encrypt and write a block.

I would prefer this to "front ending" OPEN et al. I don't really like
"front ending" things any more.

This should not require rewriting the program. In fact, we use a
product, SYSB, which does this. It redirects VSAM I/O to the specified
CICS region. It allows our batch jobs to do updates to VSAM files via
the owning CICS region, thus allowing updates in batch while it is open
to CICS.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.