On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:28:12 +0200, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Pat
>
>Knowing what the presentation space dimensions are determines where the
>presentation logic starts a new row when the 3270 data stream gets to the
>end (last column) of the current row and where to start again from the
>beginning when the data stream gets to the end of the last row.
>Actually I'm not 100% sure what you are saying here.
>..

Chris, I was leaving reality far behind - imagining something that surely
was never implemented. I was thinking of the old brand-x printers that
supported bar-codes, etc.  They were supported as 3270 printers but had
an "escape sequence" data stream that would put them a diferent mode.  In
that mode data still met 3270 datastream requirements but had nothing to
do with EBCDIC or ASCII characters.  It was some proprietary graphics
datastream.

In like fashon a 3270 emulator could look for some escape sequence that
would tell the emulator to change its presentation space size.  This
support would, of course, be completely outside standard 3270 behavior.
The application "talking" with the emulator would not be able to
work with any other emulator or device emulator would, of course.

This might have been clearer if I had not let the word "not" out of mt
last paragraph.  (An if I'd left out an exta "with".  It should have
read:

>> would take them out of the standard 3270 datastream, though, so they
>> would NOT be able to communicate with LUs designed around the 3270
>> datastream.  In general, flexable but pretty useless.

Pat O'Keefe