that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> In half-duplex, where, unlike on a 2741, you can't lock the terminal,
> if the user wants to type a character while the carriage is returning,
> there isn't much the computer could do about it even if it tried.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006p.html#45 what's the difference between LF(Line
Fee) and NL (New line) ?

last week of jan68, three people from the science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

came out from the science center to install cp67.

at the time, cp67 had support for (doing automatic terminal
recognition) for 2741 and 1050s. the university had some ascii tty33s
... so i found myself adding ascii tty terminal support to cp67. this
included having to decide how some ascii characters mapped to ebcdic
and back again.

i thot i could do the implementation so that tty support would be
merged into the existing cp67 automatic terminal recognition ... which
sort of worked. I thot the 2702 sad command which switched line
scanner between supported terminal types. this worked fine for leased
lines and terminals with the same baud rate. however, 2702 had
shortcut ... while sad command could change the line scanner on each
port/line ... the oscillator fixing the baud rate was hard wired to
each port.

this short comming led to a univ. project to build our own terminal
control unit, reverse engineer the channel interface and build our own
channel interface card for an interdata/3 programmed to emulate 2702
... with the added capability that it would automate baud rate
determination. somebody then did a write-up blaiming four of
us for the plug control unit business:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

here is a story about the tty support later resulting in 27
cp67 crashes on a single day.
http://www.multicians.org/thvv/360-67.html

I had done some one byte truncations related to tty line length
... and a local modification was made to handle some sort of ascii
device (plotter?) with line length on the order of 1k(?) ... the
maximum line length was increased w/o changing the one byte
fiddling.

later, the claim was that a primary motivation for FS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

effort was as counter to plug compatible controller business ...
from the following
http://www.ecole.org/Crisis_and_change_1995_1.htm

IBM tried to react by launching a major project called the 'Future
System' (FS) in the early 1970's. The idea was to get so far ahead
that the competition would never be able to keep up, and to have such
a high level of integration that it would be impossible for
competitors to follow a compatible niche strategy. However, the
project failed because the objectives were too ambitious for the
available technology.  Many of the ideas that were developed were
nevertheless adapted for later generations. Once IBM had acknowledged
this failure, it launched its 'box strategy', which called for
competitiveness with all the different types of compatible
sub-systems. But this proved to be difficult because of IBM's cost
structure and its R&D spending, and the strategy only resulted in a
partial narrowing of the price gap between IBM and its rivals.

... &

This first quiet warning was taken seriously: 2,500 people were
mobilised for the FS project. Those in charge had the right to choose
people from any IBM units. I was working in Paris when I was picked
out of the blue to be sent to New York. Proof of the faith people had
in IBM is that I never heard of anyone refusing to move, nor
regretting it. However, other quiet warnings were taken less
seriously.

... snip ...

as i've mentioned a number of times in the past, i wasn't very
respective about the FS effort ... drawing an analogy with some cult film
that been playing down in central sq for over a decade ...  something
about the inmates being in charge of the institution.