Telefunken TR4 and TR440, which had two tag bits for each 48 bit word
of storage. The bits where represented in the registers, too.

The meaning was

0 - binary floating point
1 - binary fixed point
2 - instructions
3 - other, like decimal or char

Some instructions, like Load (in German: B = Bringe) worked different for
fixed point and floating point, for example. If you tried to do a
binary fixed arithmetic instruction on a word with tag (Typenkennung) = 2
or 3, a special kind of ABEND occured (Typenkennungs-Alarm). So it was good
practice to initialize all dynamic storage with Typenkennung = 2 or 3.

But you could modify machine instructions as in every other architecture,
but only with the correct instructions. Modification was normally not done in
storage, but when fetching the instruction, a modificator value from the
instruction like EX on 360 to execute instructions at arbitrary places in
storage, and these instruction also were allowed to have Typenkennung 0 or 1.

Instructions normally were placed in read-only storage.

Kind regards

Bernd

Am Sonntag, 10. September 2006 14:09 schrieben Sie: