In a recent note, Charles Mills said:

> Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:45:31 -0700
>
> > gets a dialog requiring that the password be changed before logon
> > can proceed.  This may have changed.  Regardless, it's ineffective
> > for me because I have sufficient automated processes that will
> > have failed for invalid password in the interim that my password
> > has invariably been revoked before I try the interactive logon.
>
> Do you have a solution? What are you doing about this in your situation?
> Just dealing with it manually case-by-case? I would be pleased to hear of an
> approach that would work for us for this sort of problem.

No solution, but when I log in to TSO with a 3270, which I'm
occasionally forced to do, I get a 2-week countdown.  This
usually suffices to alert me to change the password before it
expires.

This is one of the mystifying things about MVS (there are others).
Why does it take a Papal decree to find the state of one's account?
TSO logon does it readily enough.  This information ought to be
available via a callable service, as readily to any program in
any environment, such as the FTP "230" message text, as it is to
TSO logon.  What were the designers thinking?  Were they thinking
much at all?  Tunnel vision?  ("Why would a TSO user _ever_ want
to use an MVS service except via LOGON to TSO?")

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL