Walt, no one's beating you up! RACF and MVS are wonderful products.

I would support Gil's contention that TSO does "it" - "it" being notifying
the user of the state of his account. Yes, yes, it gets the information from
RACF (or some other SAF-compliant sub-system, no?). But whatever - the
TSO-RACF partnership does it, okay?

> (gil) mentioned automated applications that can't respond to an expired
> password properly.  It is not obvious that they would be able to respond
> to a password warning, either.

True, but the user might. The user might at least have a prayer of seeing a
message that said "your password will expire in nn days" and doing something
about it before jobs started failing - perhaps critical (to the user, at
least) jobs failing after the user had gone home for the day.

Again, no one is beating RACF up. MVS evolved the way it did. I understand
that every decision made sense at the time it was made.

Charles