that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Schmidt) writes:
> When I lived in POK I was told that a part of the reason for extended
> storage also had to do with its lack of requirement for storage protect key
> arrays.  The extended storage memory was then allowed to be more like the
> memory of the competitors in terms of cost, structure & simplicity.  (By
> the early 1990s the competition was considered to be HP, not Amdahl nor
> HDS).

say 6bits of storage key per 4k bytes is lost in the noise? (2k
storage keys as well as 2k virtual pages having been dropped around
3081 xa time-frame) ... if you wanted to worry about something
... there was 16bit ecc for every 64bit double word (or 2bits per 8bit
byte ... as opposed to parity bit per 8bit byte) ... optimizations
were trying to get failure coverage (better than simple 1bit/byte
parity) with less than 80bits (for 64bit of data) ... like 78bits,
72bits, etc ...

press release on ecc from 1998
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/2631.wss

another discussion of memory ecc
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/435/spainhower.pdf

this reference:
http://www.beagle-ears.com/lars/engineer/comphist/model360.htm

note that 1mbyte and 2mbyte, IBM "LCS" 2361 was offered ... but I
remember a number of installations having 8mbyte "Ampex" LCS.

the claim was that 3090 extended store memory chips was effectively
the same as regular memory chips ... because ibm had really good
memory yield. however, there was a vendor around 1980 that had some
problems with its memory chip yield involving various kinds of
failures that made the chips unuseable for normal processor
fetch/store (memory).

so a bunch of these "failed" memory chips were used to build 2305
(fixed head disk) clone ... and a fairly large number of them (maybe
all that the vendor could produce) were obtained for internal use
... using a "model" number of 1655 for use as dedicated paging devices
on internal VM timesharing systems. The claim was that they were able
to engineer compensation (for various chip problems) at 4k block
transfer boundary that wouldn't be practical if you were doing
standard processor fetch/store. some recent posts mentioning the 1655
2305-clone paging devices:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006.html#38 Is VIO mandatory?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#1 Multiple address spaces
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006e.html#46 using 3390 mod-9s
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#57 virtual memory

for other drift ... there was a lot of modeling for 3090 balanced
speeds&feeds ... part of it was having sufficient electronic memory to
keep the processor busy (which then led to the extended store stuff)

part of the issue was using electronic memory to compensate for disk
thruput. starting in the late 70s, i was making statements about disk
relative system thruput had declined by an order of magnitude over a
period of years. the disk division assigned the performance and
modeling group to refute the statement. after a period of several
weeks, they came back and mentioned that i had actually slightly
understated the problem ... the analysis was then turned around into a
SHARE presentation on optimizing disk thruput (i.e. leveraging
strengths and compensating for weaknesses). misc. posting
referencing that share presentation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#46 MVS History (all parts)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006f.html#3 using 3390 mod-9s

one of the issues that cropped up (somewhat unexpectantly) was the
significant increase in 3880 (disk controller) channel busy.  the 3090
channel configuration had somewhat been modeled assuming 3830 control
unit channel busy. the 3830 had a high performance horizontal
microcode engine. for the 3880, they went to a separate processing for
the data path (enabling supporting 3mbyte/sec and then 4.5mbyte
transfers), but a much slower vertical microprogrammed engine for
control commands. this slower processor significantly increased
channel busy when processing channel controls/commands (compared to
3830).

a recent post discussion some of the problems that cropped up during
3880 development (these showed up before first customer ship and
allowed some work on improvement)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006q.html#50 Was FORTRAN buggy?

however, there was still a fundamental issue that 3880 controller
increased channel busy time per operation ... greater than had been
anticipated. in order to get back to balanced speeds&feeds for 3090
... the number of 3090 channels would have to be increased (to
compensate for the increased 3880 channel busy overhead).

now, it was possible to build a 3090 with relatively few TCMs. the
requirement (because of increased 3880 channel busy) to increase the
number of channels resulted in requiring an additional TCM for 3090
build (for the additional channels) ... which wasn't an insignificant
increase in manufacturing cost. at one point there was a suggestion
(from pok) that the cost of the one additional TCM for every 3090 sold
... should be taken from sanjose's bottom line (as opposed to showing
up against POK's bottom line).

the overall situation might be attributed to the after effects from
the failure of FS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#futuresys

a big driving factor in FS was countermeasure from clone/plug compatible
controllers ... some collected postings having been involved in greating
plug compatible controller as an undergraduate
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

however, from this article on FS (by one of the ibm executives involved)
http://www.ecole.org/Crisis_and_change_1995_1.htm

from above:

IBM tried to react by launching a major project called the 'Future
System' (FS) in the early 1970's. The idea was to get so far ahead
that the competition would never be able to keep up, and to have such
a high level of integration that it would be impossible for
competitors to follow a compatible niche strategy. However, the
project failed because the objectives were too ambitious for the
available technology.  Many of the ideas that were developed were
nevertheless adapted for later generations. Once IBM had acknowledged
this failure, it launched its 'box strategy', which called for
competitiveness with all the different types of compatible
sub-systems. But this proved to be difficult because of IBM's cost
structure and its R&D spending, and the strategy only resulted in
a partial narrowing of the price gap between IBM and its rivals.

... snip ...

i.e. the 3880 "box strategy" might be construed as sub-optimal from
an overall system perspective.

for other drift ... recent postings about san jose disk
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#14 50th Anniversary of invention of disk
drives
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006r.html#15 50th Anniversary of invention of disk
drives