In a recent note, Charles Mills said:

> Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:18:06 -0700
>
> I believe I recall doing that also, although the timeframe would have been
> ~1970, back when I found it more amusing than I do today to play "what if?"
> in MVS (then OS/360).

Not so much such bravado as naivete.  Modifying code generation in
a compiler, I needed to become familiar with the documented formats
of SYSLIN records.  On discovering the entry address in the END
record, I assumed with delight that I could save one instruction
per load module by omitting the BC 15 and letting ATTACH bypass the
eyecatchers.

I had never previously used a system on which executables were
re-editable, nor one with CKD DASD, so neither the possibility nor
the desirability of relinking to reblock occurred to me.

And, regardless, it would not have occurred to me that simple
relinking would fail to preserve such an important attribute
from the previous link editing.  An expert regular contributor
to ASSEMBLER-LIST has taken the position that preserving such
information is unnecessary and even undesirable -- the programmer
should either retain the original link editing commands (SMP/E
does so) or rely on AMBLIST to recreate them.  IBM development
has apparently judged otherwise and lately provided the "-attr"
option on the INCLUDE command.  I suspect this is to support
IEBCOPY's use of Binder to reblock and convert between load
modules and program objects.

-- gil
--
StorageTek