So, if your a PWD member, you can run 64 bit mode, but if your company just needs 10 - 30 MIPS or so, you can only run 31 bit mode? That doesn't make any sense. Is there anyone out there from IBM who can explain this, and tell us why IBM wants to kill the FLEX box? I'm sure that a few of the IBMers on this list must at least know who to ask and could find out, but I bet we won't hear from any IBMers.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

Eric,
There never really were any "Technical" issues with running 64-bit under
FLEX, it just worked.  The issue, and why Tom gets around it, is a
"legal & licensing" one.  IBM will only allow PWD members to run a FLEX
in 64 bit mode.  If you were a small shop that wanted to run z/OS under
FLEX for "production" work (assuming that production isn't compiling and
testing software products), then you were limited to only 31 bit mode.
Again, limited smarts in IBM on this.
Wayne Driscoll
Product Developer
JME Software LLC