Stephen Y Odo wrote:
[...]
Also, IBM excludes all those students who would want to write programs on the mainframe or just learn how. They can get a Windows or Linux laptop for about $1.5K with all the software they need. The only way they can do anything with z/OS is to get an account on somebody's mainframe ... which is nearly impossible at our institution.

They can get a Linux box and start experimenting and learning without having to write up a project proposal and getting approval to get access
to a system.

...or this persuades students to use Hercules and illegal copy of z/OS. Like some IBMers do.

BTW: wouldn't it be simpler just to give z/OS *for free* to all the hobbyists, students, maniacs ? Like few other OS vendors did. Obviously with limitations for personal, non-commercial use, on specified HW, etc.
Small developers would pay $xxxx yearly as today.

OK, I know. I would make z/OS *popular* which seems to be against IBM policy.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland