Alan Altmark wrote:
The rock/hard place is if you do s/w development as a hobby, not as a business, and just want to have fun, recoup your costs, and have a little something left over to supplement other sources of income. For those folks the ante may be too high. But I just don't know; I've never been a self-employed s/w developer.
And it strikes me as sad that IBM would exclude "hobbyists" like myself. A lot of good things have come out of people who developed stuff just for fun ...

Also, IBM excludes all those students who would want to write programs on the mainframe or just learn how. They can get a Windows or Linux laptop for about $1.5K with all the software they need. The only way they can do anything with z/OS is to get an account on somebody's mainframe ... which is nearly impossible at our institution.

They can get a Linux box and start experimenting and learning without having to write up a project proposal and getting approval to get access to a system.

--Stephen

Stephen Y. Odo
Systems Engineering                        e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology Services             phone:      (808)956-2383
University of Hawai'i                         FAX:      (808)956-2412
U5 Girls/Boys Master Coach
U10 Boys Age Group Coordinator
U16/U19 Girls Age Group Coordinator
Child and Volunteer Protection Advocate
AYSO Honolulu Region 178                   e-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]