Yes, I would think a programming language should do the following:

  1. accept various forms of input and from various types of devices
  2. move data, compare data and have logical comparisons
  3. output data in various forms to various types of devices.

  Scott Ford
  z/OS consultant

"Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 10/08/2006
at 07:50 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:

>What's a programming language?

A language that can be used to define programs.

>Must it have variables, assignment statements, loops, GOTOs, ...?

Not if it's a functional language. But it must have some sort of
iteration or recursion mechanism, and some sort of computation
mechanism.

>LISP

Has recursion.

>PostScript,

Postscript has more to do with FORTH than it does with troff.

>JCL is on the borderline.

No; it supports neither computation nor recursion.

>What does the "L" stand for?

The presence of the word language in the name suggests that it is a
language, but not that it is any particular type of language. What do
the J and C stand for?

>I suppose a harsh criterion might be the power to emlate a universal
>Turing machine, subject only to storage constraints.

No, that wouldn't be harsh. In fact, a useful programming language
would have to do more than that.

ISO position; see