On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 01:30 +0200, Lindy Mayfield wrote:
> The point I meant to make was that you keep all the software you
> bought for DOS or earlier versions of Windows?

You said: "they [Microsoft] don't care if nothing works anymore".  That
was too hyperbolic for my taste, and my purpose was to argue that
Microsoft DOES spend a great deal of effort to accommodate older
interfaces.

I will concede that they don't do a perfect job.  But I think you are
wrong to suggest that they don't care.

> And they [old MS-Windows applications] work?  Or maybe you don't care
> that they don't work and you upgrade?

It really doesn't matter to me all that much.  I avoid Microsoft
products.  Perhaps you should too.

> You can defend Microsoft all you wish, but they'll never come as close
> to protecting their customers' software development investments as IBM
> has done.  Hands down.

I agree.  IBM does an exemplary job at that.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.