John, I presume you've checked the compiler options and the run time
options.  Do you have a copy of the COBOL Performance Tuning manual.

Jim McAlpine

On 10/12/06, McKown, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks. I guess I was asking because I don't have an automated way to
check for "bad" coding. And I was wondering if it was even worth my
time. If a high CPU utilization is "normal", then it would likely be a
waste of time to "desk check" the code. But if high CPU utilization is
sufficiently "abnormal", then it might be worth my time (and salary) to
do some "spot checks" of code and write a report to management.

One that would likely cause the programmers to hate me even more. They
already don't like me becase I now almost always require a "service
desk" ticket to do any work. But I can charge time to those tickets,
which proves my salary is worth paying. Why it is "easier" to walk to my
desk and ask me to do something than to write a email to the help desk
to open a ticket is beyond me. Perhaps because they don't want it known
how often they ask for our services? Speculation.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.