De: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] En nombre de
McKown, John
Enviado el: Jueves, 12 de Octubre de 2006 10:03
Para: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Asunto: Re: Curiousity: CPU % for COBOL program

<snip>

> Not unusual at all. Poorly written code in any language can do this.
> E.G. In cobol terms, using display fields in computations instead of
> the relevant decimal or binary items (PIC 99999  vs pic 99999 comp-3
> vs pic 99999 comp).

See, I am under the weather. I meant other than poor coding. Oh, and perhaps
I should add that we don't do anything particularly fancy. This is basically
VSAM I/O (no database) and processing records. And I have seen many times
where the programmer does exactly as you have said, using a USAGE DISPLAY
numeric as an array index value. I really wish that the COBOL compiler would
put out "idiot alert!" messages when this happens. And then, as a
non-overridable system option, refuse to compile the program.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its content is protected
by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this
message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of this transmission, or taking any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited.

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html