发件人: Staller, Allan
发送时间: 2006-10-12 22:09:32
收件人: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
抄送:
主题: Re: Curiousity: CPU % for COBOL program

Without the souce code I can't make any intelligent suggestions.
However, if you can find a copy of "The Elements of
Programming Style" it will give several examples of "bad" vs "good" code
and how to get from here to there.

IIRC, at one time there were (at least) three versions. One each for
COBOL, FORTRAN, and ?????

HTH,

<snip >

> Not unusual at all. Poorly written code in any language can do this.
> E.G. In cobol terms, using display fields in computations instead of
> the relevant decimal or binary items (PIC 99999  vs pic 99999 comp-3
> vs pic 99999 comp).

See, I am under the weather. I meant other than poor coding. Oh, and
perhaps I should add that we don't do anything particularly fancy. This
is basically VSAM I/O (no database) and processing records. And I have
seen many times where the programmer does exactly as you have said,
using a USAGE DISPLAY numeric as an array index value. I really wish
that the COBOL compiler would put out "idiot alert!" messages when this
happens. And then, as a non-overridable system option, refuse to compile
the program.
</snip >