Matthew

I thought you said it worked with Steve's example. Now you say you still
have a problem. However, you say you don't have a problem when using the
GATEWAY statement.

It's very easy to convert a GATEWAY statement to a BEGINROUTES/ENDROUTES
block of statements. Perhaps you should post your - working - GATEWAY
statement and we can convert it for you.

Meantime I'll explain as best as I can the example - derived from Steve's
example - I used before - although I'll skip the "hypersockets" part since I
have no experience of that. If your hypersockets doesn't work, we'll have to
deal with that separately and I'll need to do some reading.

  BEGINROUTES
;  Where is the gateway?
   ROUTE 10.1.1.0/24 =           ETH1     MTU 8192
;  All other traffic defaults here
   ROUTE DEFAULT     10.1.1.254  ETH1     MTU 8192
  ENDROUTES

ROUTE 10.1.1.0/24 = ETH1 MTU 8192 says that all packets in IP address range
10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254 are sent *directly* - directly is what the "=" sign
says - over interface ETH1 and the maximum frame size is 8192.

Since we are claiming to be able to reach all IP addresses in the range
10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254 *directly* over interface ETH1, we are saying that
any address in that range can be the subject of an "address resolution
protocol" (ARP) request used in order to get a MAC address for the IP
address in an ARP reply.

ROUTE DEFAULT 10.1.1.254 ETH1 MTU 8192 says that all other packets are sent
*indirectly* and are sent initially to IP interface address 10.1.1.254 over
interface ETH1 and the maximum frame size is 8192.

You'll note that there will be no difficulty sending packets to IP interface
address 10.1.1.254 because we just defined how to send packets to any of the
IP addresses in the range 10.1.1.1 to 10.1.1.254 and 10.1.1.254 happens to
be one of the IP addresses in that range.

Chris Mason