On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:35:32 -0300, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <shmuel+ibm-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Card jams on a Mod 20's MFCM
>
>EXPN? Lrf, V xabj jung vg bssvpvnyyl fgnaqf sbe <t>?

MultiFunction Card Machine (or Mother Fletcher's Card Mulcher).  2560, I
think.  Reader, punch, interpreter.  2 hoppers; 5 stackers.  About 8
stations (a guess) where cards could be stuck.  Some of the stations were
VERY hard to reach.  Jams were common.  A card saw was a "must" if
you were going to spend much time with these monsters.  CEs hated them.
So did customers ... except when they worked.

I thought the problem was stuffing too much functionality into one
machine, but then came the System/3's MultiFunction Card Unit.  Same
capabilities as the MFCM but (as far as I remember) but for the little
96 column card.  Each station readily accessable.  A breeze to clear
jams, except that they rarely happened (in my experience).

Pat O'Keefe