On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:07:57 -0400, Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  ....  My suspicion: because they are
>unwilling or unable to relocate to where the jobs are, or they want moving
>& living expenses paid by an unwilling prospective employer.

I would ask this of the group.  Is there anyone who works in an area
where it would be easy to find a new job as a sysprog?

>I hope it's not because they don't use online services like monster.com
>where 328 "mainframe system programmer" jobs are listed (some of which are
>not really sysprog jobs).

I was unemployed for six months and I did use Monster, Dice and
others.  What I found was a very small number of sysprog jobs.
The vast majority of "mainframe system programmer" postings were
for programmers, and not necessarily on mainframes.  Furthermore,
for every real job, there are several postings: one (usually) by
the company with the opening and many more by headhunters and
contracting companies.  And some of them seem to be trial balloons.
There were several that I applied to and received no response at
all, even though the same job remained posted for the entire time
that I was out.  In one case, it was a company with which I am
quite familiar and I had very good references within the company.

At the same time, there seemed to be lots of openings for Java,
C++, and C# programmers, as well as Oracle and DB2 applications
programmers.  There alse seemed to be plenty of positions for
PC and Unix sys admins.

Tom Marchant