Ted MacNEIL wrote:
z900 and later processors have a separate caches for instruction fetch and data
fetch; usage DOES have a significant effect on performance

9672's and later.
I remember SAS having issues with this long before z.

There may have been some minor issues with SAS on 9672s. But, the real problem that garnered so much attention occurred when attempting to run SAS-generated, non-reentrant code on z900 (Freeway) machines. And, SAS were not the only ones with performance issues. (We had some of our own.)

This issue taught the mainframe community a valuable lesson regarding non-reentrant code and processor cache! Google for "SAS z900" (without the surrounding quotes). This PDF from Cheryl Watson is representative of what you'll find:

http://www.watsonwalker.com/PR010302.PDF

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc