-------------------------------<snip>--------------------------
I believe the intent is to keep the programmers locked inside the job classes assigned to them.

I've used a JES2 exit 6 to query RACF for authorization to the job classes. Works like a charm. I think I even got the exit code by way of this list.
We used a TSO SUBMIT exit to force job class based on USER ID. We also used it for a security-related function by stripping off any USER= and PASSWORD= parameters from the job statement.