On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:21:22 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <shmuel+ibm-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>...  So I  changed all RELFILE references to TXLIB references,
>>added TXLIB DD  statements to the APPLY JCL, and proceeded with the
>>RECEIVE and APPLY.
>Why? If you had already done a RECEIVE then the proper thing to do was
>an APPLY CHECK, not another RECEIVE, and certainly not a RECEIVE with
>modified MCS. ...

You apparently missed the part about a completely separate SMP environment.
Completely: different CSI including the GLOBAL zone and PTS.  It's use
that or wait another 3 or 4 months until the MVS folks are ready to do
the APPLY.  And no, they aren't willing to give me a couple new, empty
zones attached to their global zone.

Within half a year the MVS folks will have installed the product.
Within a few weeks a newly ordered copy of the tapes should arrive
for me to do my own clean install.  And I have a completely empty
set of SMP datasets that I can scratch and reallocate at any time.  I
saw, and still see, no downside.  This looks like the perfect chance
reacquaint myself with SMP, and to try something out of the ordinary,
but really pretty simple.

>>but I don't understand how this happened.
>
>It happened because you changed things that you didn't understand. In
>this case it was crucial to distinguish between object libraries and
>load libraries. I won't say never edit the MCS of a function, but when
>you must do so, do it with fear and trembling.

Actually (perhaps givig myself more credit than I deserve) I'd say it was
not understanding how SMP treats object vs. load libraries rather than
not understanding the difference between the libraries.  And I admit that
I had forgotten that there even was an LKLIB specification.  I definitely
need some SMP practice and this looks like the perfect chance.

Pat O'Keefe